The Amazing (Name Still Undetermined) Pie!

3/29/2011

I've already thanked her for this both on Facebook and on her blog, but I used Ali's recipe for banana cake for Jack's birthday weekend before last.  It was a huge success!  The problem?  (Aside from not following her advice and not sharing it with anybody outside of our immediate blood-related family, that is.)  One of the ingredients in that recipe is buttermilk, which is fine as part of a recipe but is disgusting slime otherwise.

You can only buy it by the quart, and when your recipe only calls for one and a half cups, you can either let the rest go bad in the fridge or find something else to make with it.  So, following Ali's lead, I turned to AllRecipes.com to see what to do with leftover buttermilk.

Biscuits?  Done it already.  Fried chicken?  Too time-consuming.  A-ha!  Buttermilk pie!  And a super-easy recipe with all of the other ingredients already in my fridge and pantry, to boot.

Impossible Buttermilk Pie Recipe from AllRecipe.com
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup baking mix
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs

Directions
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch pie plate.
Beat together white sugar, buttermilk, baking mix, melted butter or margarine, vanilla, and eggs until smooth. Pour filling into pie plate.
Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool and serve.

This pie was awesome.  You don't even need a crust because it kind of makes its own.  I dusted it with some powdered sugar, and we took some over to my parents last night when we took them some of the photos from our weekend photo session.  My dad even said it reminded him of something my grandmother used to make for him!  I would make only three changes next time I make it:
  1. Put some fresh berries on top of it before serving.
  2. Set the oven timer for 40 minutes instead of 30.  I ended up having to add 10 minutes to the cook time to get it firm enough.
  3. Find a better name than "Buttermilk Pie," because people (or at least the ones in my family) instantly assume that things with "buttermilk" in the name are gross.

7 comments:

Chris Farmer said...

I think this the obvious other answer: http://kottke.org/09/10/the-worlds-best-pancake-recipe

But this recipe sounds good too.

Anonymous said...

My mom has a great recipe for buttermilk pie as well. It's a family favorite... Angie

Anonymous said...

that sounds yummy too! but I have a trick if you just don't have access to any buttermilk-----just put a little white vinegar in regular milk----the ratio is 1 tsp to each 1/2 cup of milk!

Cindy

Danny said...

That's a neat trick, but one that I will be keeping a secret if I ever use. I had a hard enough time convincing my family that buttermilk pie is good, let alone vinegar pie!

Anonymous said...

right! but see-----if you do it this way, you can just call it "special milk"----nothing that syas buttermilk in sight!

Anonymous said...

syas??? sheesh------says-----

Ali said...

how about "kick-ass-so-good-i'm-not-sharing-with-you pie"? this sounds great. and YES! i needed to know what to do with the rest of the damn buttermilk.

Post a Comment

Every comment is like a fresh flower, so please write!